Roasted Root Vegetables with Rosemary and Thyme
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
3-5 small parsnips, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
1 large onion, peeled & cut into bite-size pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position, then preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Put the vegetables in a large bowl, then add the olive oil to coat and stir well to combine.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- Now taste one of the carrots to see if you need more salt or pepper, adding more to taste.
- Sprinkle with the thyme and rosemary and stir well.
- Distribute the vegetables evenly over a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Roast, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes, until lightly caramelized, stirring once after 35 minutes for even cooking.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, return the vegetables to the bowl, lightly coat the vegetables with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.