This episode originally aired in season two as #225. Yet, due to the popularity of the topic, and the endless stream of questions we get about the topic, it’s an evergreen topic that bears another encore.
Many people seem to get bogged down in the details of how to make compost. That, or they think it’s going to be messy and smelly.
Neither is true if you follow a few simple guidelines which we cover.
In this episode, we show you all the basics of composting and everything you need to know to make it at home, without the smell or fuss of wondering if you’re getting it right.
This episode also shows you how to make a super simple 3-bin compost system made from repurposed shipping pallets. It’s the actual system we use to this day on the GardenFarm set (which is also Joe Lamp’l’s real working compost bin).
Also covered are some do’s and don’ts of composting, and Joe shows us which items from the kitchen, office and yard to include and exclude from your compost pile.
For more information:
- Joe’s Blog from this episode: So Much to Say, So Little Time
- Chef Nathan’s Recipe from this episode: Pan-Roasted Asparagus
- GGWTV Episode 112: The Power of Worms (full episode – Vermiculture and Vermicomposting)
- Compost Diving – gotta see it to believe it
- Compost Your Kitchen and Household Waste
- Burpee Home Gardens Podcast – How to Make Compost
- Burpee Home Gardens Podcast – Why Compost is the Best Soil Amendment for the Garden
- Basic Composting Q&A
- Composting Basics
- Fall Leaves – a Gift to Gardeners
- GGWTV Episode 106: Composting on a Grand Scale (full episode)