Pork Chops with Cherry Sauce Recipe From Episode 313 – Backyard Orchards
Pork Chop Ingredients:
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 bone-in pork chops, 1-inch thick (just over 1 lb)
¼ tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
Pork chop directions:
- Pat the pork chops dry. On a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil, season both sides of both chops equally with salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Allow to sit at room temperature, undisturbed, for 30 minutes to bring to room temperature.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and swirl the pan to coat evenly. The oil may begin to smoke, that is ok.
- Add both chops to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Using tongs, turn the chops a quarter turn in the pan, putting them back in a slightly different spot from where you lifted them. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Flip the chops and cook for 1 minute. Repeat the quarter-turn in the pan followed by another 1 minute.
- Flip the chops back to the original side and cook for 1 minute, and repeat the quarter-turn in the pan and cook for 1 final minute, for a total cooking time of 6 minutes.
- Transfer the chops to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
3 cups fresh, organic cherries, washed and pitted
1 Star anise
Rosemary – 1-2 sprigs
Aprox. 1/2 cup Port wine
Aprox. 1 cup Merlot
Corn starch slurry (mix 1 tablespoon of water to 1 teaspoon of corn starch and mix)
- Add cherries to saucepan and turn to medium heat.
- Add port wine, merlot, anise, and rosemary.
- Turn up to a high heat and bring mixture to a boil for several minutes.
- Add corn starch slurry and stir. When the sauce begins to thicken, remove from heat and stir.
Bring them together:
Place a pork chop in the center of the plate and add a generous spoonful of the cherry sauce trailing off the side.