Red Beans and Rice with Fresh Cilantro
Have on hand
Brown basmati rice
Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
½ pound fresh Italian spicy sausage, removed from casing
1 large onion, peeled and diced (2 cups)
3 celery ribs, small dice (2 cups)
6 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (3 Tbsp)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15-oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 (15-oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
Kosher salt, as needed
Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
Cilantro, for garnish
A bottle of your favorite hot sauce on the side, optional
1. Begin cooking enough rice to make approximately 6 cups of cooked rice. I use a flavorful brown basmati for this recipe.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil plus the spicy sausage to a medium saucepan. Place over medium-low heat. As the sausage cooks, break it up with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Cook for 3 minutes until the meat is nicely browned.
3. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until soft.
4. Stir in the celery and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in the thyme and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Lastly, add the tomatoes, stock, beans and bay leaves. Increase the heat to high and once the liquid starts to bubble reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes to allow the beans to soften and the flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve in soup bowls adding the cooked rice in first and then pile on the beans. To garnish add a sprinkling of green onions and cilantro. Don’t forget your favorite hot sauce! Enjoy.
YIELD: SERVES 6
Was pleasantly surprised with this recipe! I didn’t have 2 cans of kidney beans so I used 1 and used 1 can chili beans (didn’t drain those), plus I don’t have bay leaves so didn’t add any and it still turned out delicious. Thanks, this is a keeper! 🙂
Enjoying Nathan’s videos tonight while at work!!
Just a quick general note — his set seems on the dark side — could use more lighting, I think!
Thanks for posting the vids!
Joe Lamp'l says
Thanks for your thoughts Alice. We made some lighting changes after season one and we think it made a big difference. But I agree. We’re always tweaking and appreciate the viewer feedback like yours so much.
David Hineline says
I just made a double batch of this for my wife and I. It is AWESOME!!!
I added a little ancho chili powder and the juice of one lime.
Kim Justin says
It would be great if you listed the nutrition facts for people withe dietary concerns.
Thanks for the suggestion, Kim! I’ll look into seeing how we’d determine that.
Jason Tolar says
Made a vegan version using tofurkey Italian sausage, and it was awesome. I enjoy all your cooking portions on the show. Your tips are very helpful.
I am vegan too – thanks for the tip!!!