We are deeply grateful to our veterans, men and women who offer their lives to defend our liberty. Now a growing number of vets are planting important seeds in our agricultural landscape – transitioning from their role in the military to that of the community — trading rifles for shovels as they embrace one of the oldest professions in the world — farming, with sustainability at its roots.
The Veteran’s Farm opened in 2009 under the leadership of Adam Burke, a former Sergeant in Iraq, a purple heart, and a veteran who vowed to create a meaningful career after returning from duty. At the farm, vets are trained in the field using sustainable farming practices, organic methods of production, and with the plan to graduate from their on-the-job training and into a farm of their own.
Using hands-on training in the field, veterans nationwide are growing tomorrow’s harvest, and we couldn’t be more honored to share this budding green movement with you.
For more information:
- Veterans to Farmers Coalition
- Veteran’s Farm (the farm featured in this episode)
- Web Exclusive Video: Occupational Therapy Tips
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- Jacksonville Farm Helps Vets Heal
- Chef Nathan’s Cantaloupe Strawberry Salad Recipe