During the holidays while your children are home and looking for something fun to do, here are some winter gardening activities you can enjoy with your children:
1. Plant a windowsill garden of herbs. Have your children paint or decorate the pots first.
2. Many plants will root right in water, or on top of pebbles placed in water. Use carrots, pineapples, avocado, or potatoes. This will give children the chance to see what goes on under the ground.
3. Make a “chia” puppet out of an old sock. Place grass seed in the toe along with some soil. Tie it off with a rubber band and draw a face. Keep the sock moist in a well lit area and watch it grow hair!
4. Build a bird house or a bird feeder.
5. Make a terrarium out of an old mayonnaise jar or aquarium.
6. Make “ornaments” out of pinecones rolled in peanut butter and bird seed. Hang them on shrubs or evergreens as edible decorations outside.
7. Create a learning experience for children by finding things (i.e.: bugs) outside. Then try to identify them either by bringing the “things” inside or taking books outside and reading about what they’ve found.
8. Make a vermicompost bin out of an old opaque plastic tub.