Mention the term “four-season gardening” and more often than not, Eliot Coleman is likely to come up. He pretty much owns the space when it comes to year-round growing in cold climates.
Along with his equally famous wife, Barbara Damrosch (author of the bestselling book, The Garden Primer), year-round growing on their Four Season Farm in Harborside, ME. The not-so-secret key to their success is the use of low and high tunnels with techniques that essentially have plants thinking they’re growing in Georgia–even in the dead of winter.
We get many requests for more information on the equipment Eliot uses in this show to create those rounded pipe supports for his low tunnels. The link is the first one below.
Be sure to check out Eliot and Barbara’s bestselling books. Links are also provided below.
Additional links for this episode:
- Where to purchase the “Quick Hoops Bender” seen in the episode
- The New Organic Grower by Eliot Coleman
- The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses by Eliot Coleman
- Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long, 2nd Edition by Eliot Coleman
- The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch
- Theme Gardens by Barbara Damrosch
- Joe’s Blog recounting his experience filming this episode with Eliot and Barbara: You Can’t Change the Weather; But you CAN Garden in it!
- Chef Nathan’s Recipe in this episode: Pan-Roasted Broccolette with Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes
Disclosure: some product links on this page are affiliate links, which means we would get a commission if you purchase. However, none of the prices of these resources have been increased to compensate us. While the commissions are small, any received go towards helping to offset the expenses of bringing this free content to you. Thank you.